Hi everyone. The soaring season approaches and as I sit typing by the window, there is a fine view of cumulus clouds and a pleasant temperature of 23 degrees. But then again I am in Victoria and tomorrow we are forecast to be deluged with heavy rain, temperatures dropping to 12 degrees and snow on the Alps.
An early start to our news about next year's 51st Horsham Week – into the second half of the century and while I cannot possibly anticipate the changes to soaring over the next 50 years let's hope that Horsham Week is still around in whatever form that might be.
I would add that Horsham Week will close off a very busy competition season in Victoria with:
- VSA State competition at Ararat in late November,
- the Australian Grand Prix in December at Horsham,
- World Championships at Benalla in January, and
- the OSTIV conference at Benalla in conjunction with the Worlds.
Hope you have saved enough annual leave and 'brownie points' to attend a few events as well as Horsham Week.
So what's our news for HW 2017 :
Entry Fees and Entry Process
Entry Fees (including the Horsham facility charge) remain unchanged and we will do our best to minimise increases on aerotow charges.
Jarek has devised a new OnLine facility to streamline the entry form process and automatically capture all your input details for us to have available when you arrive at Horsham.
Third Party Insurance
There is no longer a requirement to bring proof of $ 1 Mn Third Party liability insurance. This insurance is now provided to all GFA members via the GFA's Broad Based Liability (BBL) insurance policy.
Pilot Entry Qualification
Minimum qualification for pilot entry is the GFA Glider Pilot Certificate (GPC). Pilots being coached in a 2-seater are exempt from requiring a GPC provided their coach is pilot-in-command and holds a GPC.
For all 2-seater coaching the VSA provides a fuel subsidy ( $ 0.30 per km ) for transporting the glider and also pays for the competition entry fee (except for the dinner). How about that for an attractive offer !
- Contest Director – Ian Grant, Melbourne Gliding Club
- Safety Officer – Mike Cleaver, Temora GC
- Operations Manager & Tug Master – Selwyn Ellis, Horsham Club
- Task Setter –Jarek Mosiejewski, Geelong GC
- Weather Forecaster – To be advised
- Scorer – Tim Shirley, GCV
- Treasurer – Chris Thorpe, Beaufort GC
- Secretary – Andy Benton, GCV
There are no other changes at this time.
On behalf of the Organising Committee our best wishes for the soaring season